Planning and Development
301 Walnut Street
Washington, IL 61571
309.444.1135 - Phone
309.444.9779 - Fax
email@example.com - E-mail
(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.
Download the free viewer here).
(Some applications listed below are in PDF format)
The primary purpose of the Planning & Development Department is to promote the coordinated growth and development of the City of Washington. This department works to ensure that all subdivision, development, new construction, and use of land conforms to state and local regulations and is accomplished in an orderly manner that minimizes or eliminates adverse impacts to the public health, safety, morals, and general welfare of the citizens of Washington. The department staff administers local land use ordinances and provides professional, technical assistance to the City Council, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Economic Development Commission, Building Board of Review, and TIF Joint Review Boards.
This department is responsible for the following activities:
- Building inspection, new construction
- Code enforcement, including zoning, subdivision, building, and nuisance
- Comprehensive Plan administration
- Economic development - general business retention, promotion, and support
- Enterprise Zone administration
- Geographic Information System (GIS) maintenance / mapping
- Permit issuance / application processing, including:
- Certificate of occupancy
- Comprehensive Plan amendment
- Home occupation
- Personal Wireless Service Facility (PWSF) / telecommunication tower
- Signs: including banner, billboard, and portable
- Street cut
- Street load limit, temporarily exceed
- Swimming pool
- Special Use
- Landscaping plan review and approval
- Planning, comprehensive land-use
- Right-of-way vacation, streets and alleys
- Site plan and subdivision plat review
- Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District administration
HOME OCCUPATION - The following link will take you to the Zoning Code. Click on the Home Occupation link which is section 154.301 - Click here for Code Requirements
Application Forms are available below
(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the application forms and ZBA meeting schedule below. Download the free viewer here").
Section 154.306 of the Code above determines whether a Home Occupation can be Administratively granted (Administrative Application) or must be presented before the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA Application) for granting. Questions may directed to the Building & Zoning Supervisor at 309-444-1122.
Application Forms (You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the forms below. Download the free viewer here").
SUNNYLAND/ROUTE 8 CORRIDOR
The Cities of Washington and East Peoria have adopted a Corridor Plan for the Sunnyland/Route 8 area. The Corridor Plan will serve as the official guide for land use, physical improvements, and economic development. It also provides a foundation for decision-making that is based on a shared vision for the future and an understanding of how things are today and how things could be in the future.
Copies are also available for review the main library at Five Points Washington and the Sunnyland branch library.
The cities were awarded a grant from the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission to complete this plan with the expectation that it will help lead to future public and private investment in the Sunnyland area. If you have any comments or questions, please contact Jon Oliphant, AICP, at 444-1135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the links below to view the Plan: